Konig & Meyer Accordion Stand or similar

Looking for your first accordion? Upgrading?
CJMusic
Beginner
Beginner

Konig & Meyer Accordion Stand or similar

Post by CJMusic » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:57 pm

I'm desperate for the Konig & Meyer Accordion Stand #174 https://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?info ... 03ec5558ea

I'm a bassist who gigs out occasionally, but I also double on accordion at times (very beginner style, usually just holding chords or playing simple melodies). For this reason, I'm not always on my accordion. I would LOVE to get one of these stands, as I could switch back and forth during the song and not have to take my bass off, etc. The problem is, I can't pay $500 for it as I don't make much at all from this.

It seems this K&M stand is the ONLY walk-up accordion stand out there. Very small supply and demand market for this, I guess.

Does anyone have a used one for sale?! Please...

Thanks!
Chris

Happy girl
Star
Star

Re: Konig & Meyer Accordion Stand or similar

Post by Happy girl » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:06 am

Chris, If I would be desperate for an accordion stand, or anything else for that matter which is out of my financial reach, I would be thinking outside the box & asking myself if I can find an alternative solution by homing in on my creativity.

For example does it have to be an all singing & dancing model or would I be satisfied with something equally functional which I have designed myself using different materials?

O.K. so I may or may or may not have the skills necessary to actually make the whole thing; I could however consider engaging talented friends in a brainstorming session & take it from there, or even seek out a student at a college who is looking for a worthwhile project.

Perhaps I am talking out of the top of my head, but if this product is in short supply/too expensive etc. then the opportunity is present for you to take advantage of, & to come up with your own unique solution which is collapsible, transportable, functional & hopefully, a bit wacky! :D

All you need to do initially is to emerge in the excitement of allowing yourself to get carried away with the idea of self creation, & your gut feeling will tell you what is necessary for your situation.

I have lots of experience in being creative in the way described above; I am also very fortunate indeed because no matter how ‘funky’ my ideas, my husband, who is retired now, just relishes finding ‘stuff’ he has squirreled away in his workshop for years & emerges triumphantly with said goods. (Which incidentally must be to my specific requirement!)

I relate this not to gloat over my good fortune, but to encourage your creativity, to take control & conquer the ‘impossible’.

Good luck, I hope this helps & will open new doors for you.

Beware! this is an indulgence which could become addictive!!!

fjsys
Star
Star

Post by fjsys » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:21 am

Where are you located Chris?

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:17 pm

It's a good posting this, as these stands are like treadmills... the sort of thing people buy and then find they don't use so get's consigned to the garage, shed, cupboard etc., so there should be a few around.

I have one, albeit I'm in the UK and these are pretty robust (heavy) and shipping costs from here to the US would be prohibitive... and I'm undecided whether I may need it. So why bother to say? Just chewing the fat... :)
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:38 pm

how about a harmophone? self-standing, electric powered accordion, loads cheaper than that stand, essentially perfect for chords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uinCMIxxoZE

CJMusic
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CJMusic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks Jozz. Well...I wanted the stand for accordion, and I definitely don't need to see another instrument to purchase... :) That thing sounds fantastic, though!
I have an old Magnus chord organ. The fan needs cleaning as the notes are a bit flat (and it's noisy), but similar idea.

CJMusic
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CJMusic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 am

fjsys wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:21 am
Where are you located Chris?
I am in Illinois @fjsys

CJMusic
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CJMusic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:44 am

Thank you Happygirl.
I have a very capable father in law, who I keep bringing up the idea and ideas to. I think the thing holding me back is I don't want to spend $100+ on our own design, only to have it not work how I hoped, when I could have used that $100 to invest in the actual stand. I have terrible buyer's remorse.

I'm sure we could actually build one that would suit the needs, but I'm hoping to find an actual K&M which seems like the perfect design!

:)

CJMusic
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CJMusic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:49 am

Soulsaver - thanks! I imagine shipping would be $100+ USD from UK to here. I guess if you were serious about selling, we could look in to it more, but alas, the shipping would probably be the deal breaker.

Soulsaver wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:17 pm
It's a good posting this, as these stands are like treadmills... the sort of thing people buy and then find they don't use so get's consigned to the garage, shed, cupboard etc., so there should be a few around.

I have one, albeit I'm in the UK and these are pretty robust (heavy) and shipping costs from here to the US would be prohibitive... and I'm undecided whether I may need it. So why bother to say? Just chewing the fat... :)

Happy girl
Star
Star

Post by Happy girl » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Have faith old boy! Just think about the bonding with father-in –law which will enhance & increase family harmony in the future!

;) Surely that is worth more than it’s worth in gold ………

colinm
Star
Star

Post by colinm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:30 pm

Colinm, vignoni 37/96 double cassotto,

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Useless. One of the important things of an accordion stand is the padded clamp to put the accordion in without damage. Then it needs a combination of a wide base and large weight (aluminum? not really) so that it won't tip or slide when pushing the accordion. Since the main pushing directions are left and right, this is one case where a four-legged stand has a very significant advantage over a tripod (a tripod can't resist both pushing left and right without being prone to toppling in either forward or backward direction).

You can actually find them somewhat often bundled with a Hohner "Electravox" since the "bellows" there is literally a volume control: the more you open the instrument (against its closing spring), the louder it gets. For constant volume, you need to keep it opened at a constant angle. For this kind of usage, you have quite a better tradeoff between stability and weight taken off than for an accordion with an actual bellows.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:22 am

I don't know where to get this kind of accordion stand, but even just looking at it, I see that it holds the accordion by the bellows... in my humble and uneducated opinion, this is a bad move, because if you cannot open and close the bellows freely, this makes it unusable to actually play the accordion at the same time it is standing there.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:38 am

JerryPH wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:22 am
I don't know where to get this kind of accordion stand, but even just looking at it, I see that it holds the accordion by the bellows... in my humble and uneducated opinion, this is a bad move, because if you cannot open and close the bellows freely, this makes it unusable to actually play the accordion at the same time it is standing there.
I don't think so. You clamp in the treble side, the bellows is free. I mean, the bellows is just cardboard, it would be a bad idea to use clamps on it. I once had one such thing here, having acquired an Electravox with it. Soon sold it again. I probably could have gotten a wagonload more by selling stand and instrument separately. I think I tried it on a "real" instrument as well but it was quite unconvincing, but then I am really a bellows person, coming from a violin background.

One noteworthy thing is that photographs cannot prepare you for just how massive that thing is. I don't think that newer stands (that one basically was as old as the instrument which was transistorized but built discretely) could save a lot of weight here without sacrificing function, and from the photographs I have seen, they don't look significantly different in principle.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:21 pm

I've seen them in the past, and yes, it was connected to the treble side of the box, something that is not possible for some accordions (ie: a V-accordion where it possible might cover the information screen). The picture of the item displayed by the link the OP provided shows it incorrectly connected to the bellows, which is definitely the wrong way to do it.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:30 pm

JerryPH wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:21 pm
I've seen them in the past, and yes, it was connected to the treble side of the box, something that is not possible for some accordions (ie: a V-accordion where it possible might cover the information screen). The picture of the item displayed by the link the OP provided shows it incorrectly connected to the bellows, which is definitely the wrong way to do it.
Are we looking at different photographs here? On the very last photograph of the K&M ad, the perspective is a bit awkward but I do think that on all of the photographs, it is the treble side in the clamp.

CJMusic
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CJMusic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:42 am

I think JerryPH is talking about a different link I posted? I only posted one though. If you zoom in those pictures, those are actually from Koenig & Meyer's product page, it is clearly clamped on the treble side. It would not function if clamped to the bellows.

CJMusic
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CJMusic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:46 am

Geronimo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:03 pm
Useless. One of the important things of an accordion stand is the padded clamp to put the accordion in without damage. Then it needs a combination of a wide base and large weight (aluminum? not really) so that it won't tip or slide when pushing the accordion. Since the main pushing directions are left and right, this is one case where a four-legged stand has a very significant advantage over a tripod (a tripod can't resist both pushing left and right without being prone to toppling in either forward or backward direction).

You can actually find them somewhat often bundled with a Hohner "Electravox" since the "bellows" there is literally a volume control: the more you open the instrument (against its closing spring), the louder it gets. For constant volume, you need to keep it opened at a constant angle. For this kind of usage, you have quite a better tradeoff between stability and weight taken off than for an accordion with an actual bellows.

This is an excellent observation Geronimo. I never thought of the tripod and push/pulling in a direction and not having the stability. What's interesting is, I believe the original stand made by K&M was built on a tripod, I believe I saw one for sale at one point in my searchings.
When I was considering building one, we thought about using the heaviest duty drum mounting hardware stand, which may have been sufficient weight wise (steel), but still a tripod. The hardest part in making one is the clamping system. This K&M one is so adjustable in every which way, and really, you need to find that spot and lock it down, so I assume building one may not really be that tricky (get the right angle and build to that spec).
Thanks.

Soulsaver
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Soulsaver » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 pm

I've read the OP again and it occurs to me, that I suspect even if you find a K&M stand, if you try it with a biggish (96/120) accordion I doubt you'll think it is stable enough as designed to stand unattended with audience/band members milling round. You'd need to bolt/screw the legs to floor IMO for that... or demount the accordion when you're not playing... which may defeat your objective? :?
Music Game full rules are on the original (first) post in its thread...viewtopic.php?f=12&t=444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chinese Accordion Manufacturers - list post #1 here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b]

CJMusic
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CJMusic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 am

@soulsaver
What makes you think it wouldn't be stable enough to be left unattended? It seems pretty heavy duty steel, and the clamp looks pretty darn strong.
I do have a 1970s Scandalli 120-button, which is pretty heavy, but it seems like this could hold it no problem, IMHO. Especially for $500, it better hold it!! :)

I found one at thomann.co.uk for about $315, but the thing that concerns me is the mysterious import charges. I've read all kinds of varying reports on what you might have to pay import duties/taxes from UPS or whoever ends up delivering it. I don't ever recall paying import tax when the delivery company delivers it, so it may be inaccurate, but it just makes me nervous that I have to another $100 when they deliver it, so it's not that good a deal.
I even called UPS directly and the guy said it's nearly impossible to use their import duty estimator calculator because there are so many variables, it's not even worth trying.
Maybe it's all a moot point and they don't charge anything, who knows.