Plumbing The Depths .... Eurovision.

Any non accordion related chat & banter in here, but try and avoid religion and politics!
Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Plumbing The Depths .... Eurovision.

Post by Geronimo » Tue May 15, 2018 9:53 am

jozz wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 am
Anyanka wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 am
What we like about Eurovision is precisely how bad it is. In recent years, the badness has not been tasteless enough to entertain though, but there's always a laugh to be had.
haha we too, this is exactly the fun of it, and especially on the Belgian TV channel which gives hilarious joking comments.

do need a case of beer tho :ch
Well, I'd need a TV set first. I distinctly remember having seen this thing at one point of time and I am afraid the Germans were taking this seriously. They probably don't have many useful contenders these days since the typically catastrophic German score (after Germany did not survive preselection in 1996, a decision was made to automatically qualify Germany for the finals in future in order to secure financing from it) can be a career breaker: I think several groups/singers disbanded after abysmal results in the contest (there were even a few occasions where Germany got 0 points all in all, like in 2015).

Well, you know Germans: they consider it an advantage when a horse is not just dead but skeletized since it makes it easier to beat it across the finishing line a few weeks after the race has ended and will reenter the horse when they get the chance to skip qualification.

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 am

Germany actually had one of the better songs this year, as did the Netherlands, but clearly that's not what the contest is about :D

JeffJetton
Superstar
Superstar

Post by JeffJetton » Tue May 15, 2018 12:15 pm

jozz wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 am
Germany actually had one of the better songs this year
I kept referring to him as "German Ed Sheeran". :D (And yes, he was one of the non-terrible entrants.)

Stephen Hawkins
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Wed May 16, 2018 2:25 am

Hi Jozz,

You are correct when you say that this "song contest" is no longer about the songs. Quite what it is about is anyone's guess, but it surely can't survive much longer in its current format.

There must be a limit to the drivel the general public will accept, and that limit must be extremely close by now. Eurovision is a shameless and unmitigated insult to music, made worse by the scandalous political machinations of those who participate.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Wed May 16, 2018 6:42 am

Stephen Hawkins wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:25 am
There must be a limit to the drivel the general public will accept, and that limit must be extremely close by now. Eurovision is a shameless and unmitigated insult to music, made worse by the scandalous political machinations of those who participate.
Your theories would equally apply to politics. The bottom of the barrel is a moving target defined by the lack of alternatives.

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 am

I don't think Eurovision was ever really about the songs - maybe in the minds of those who set it up at the beginning, but it got taken over by commercial interests immediately, and the political voting has gone on as long as I remember!

As for the drivel levels accepted by the General Public... There has always been music (and literature, films etc) that was produced specifically with an eye on maximising sales, i.e. mass consumption, and it's always been dire - but time has filtered out the worst dross.

Also, remember that the General Public probably doesn't view our accordion music as high art, either.

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 pm

Anyanka wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 am
As for the drivel levels accepted by the General Public... There has always been music (and literature, films etc) that was produced specifically with an eye on maximising sales, i.e. mass consumption, and it's always been dire - but time has filtered out the worst dross.
Like this it did.
Also, remember that the General Public probably doesn't view our accordion music as high art, either.
A hand-powered wearable organ with mechanical accompaniment using preconfigured chords in dubious inversions? We are the mouth painters among the musicians. We don't produce high art, we are high art.

Stephen Hawkins
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi Kirsten,

Whilst Eurovision has never been about high art, it did at least produce some fairly memorable songs in times gone by. One of my all time favourites was the Irish entry in (I think) 1970, when Dana sang "All Kinds Of Everything."

There have been a few decent songs since then, though standards have really nose-dived over the last twenty odd years.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Thu May 17, 2018 4:50 pm

The songs I actually like (for good reasons rather than the Joy of Awfulness) usually end up somewhere near the bottom of the ranking - the only winner I really liked recently was Conchita Wurst, but that was for her personality and appearance, not the song...

The only winning number that really did it for me was 'Puppet on a String' (1967)- we had the 45, and my dad used to dance me around the living room on his feet to it.

Stephen Hawkins
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi Kirsten,

Puppet on a String was excellent, though I was out of the country when it was released. The Army deployed me in places where Eurovision could not reach, and where I was a walking packed-lunch for all manner of multi-legged and winged creatures which are native to these forlorn regions.

I can only guess that I first heard Puppet on a String somewhere along my transit route to good old blighty.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Mon May 21, 2018 1:52 pm

I just caught up with 'Gogglebox' last night, which featured the Israeli entry to the Eurovision contest - that was exactly what one hopes for: meaningless lyrics in slightly garbled English, a bizarre set-up and a somewhat crazy looking singer.

Apparently it won! The mind boggles.

Stephen Hawkins
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Mon May 21, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi Kirsten,

Yes, the mind does indeed boggle, which is why I avoid Eurovision at all costs. We just saw bits of it when flipping channels, but would never actually sit down to watch it.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:51 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:45 am
Hmmmm, sorry to hear that. Never heard of it. Does it have accordions?
I was thinking perhaps, as I associate Kuunkuiskaajat's Työlki Ellää with Eurovision, but I see it didn't qualify for the 2010 finals. I like their videos from the rail car better.