FR4x feedback

For the modern ones among us.
Keymn
Expert
Expert

FR4x feedback

Post by Keymn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 pm

I have owned my fr4x for 8 months now. I would like to start your feedback on this model.
Here is mine:
1. Portability light weight - I like the fact I can stroll and the smaller size gives some nice bellows action.
2. Battery life - used up to 4 hour gigs. Holds charge. Always have a second battery pack ready and charged.
3. Accordion volume . Very good, lot better then expected. EQ is important setting. Very clean sounding. Notice no distortion, even at full volume.
4. Accordion sounds - factory sounds need tweaking slightly. I intend to like it more bright with effects.
5. Orchestra sounds - ok, but I intend to lean towards Korg sounds.

Have no regrets on this purchase. Had to go to smaller size which was one of the big reasons of this purchase.
I do not like the one-way midi port. Wish it was wired bi-directional.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: FR4x feedback

Post by JerryPH » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Have you looked at the Richard Noel sets? I can say without doubt that they totally changed my 8X, to the way I feel it should have come from the factory, it is eye opening. :)

I do know that many 4X people say that one of the best things they did to improve the sound was to play with the EQ settings.
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Keymn
Expert
Expert

Post by Keymn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:31 pm

JerryPH wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:02 pm
Have you looked at the Richard Noel sets? I can say without doubt that they totally changed my 8X, to the way I feel it should have come from the factory, it is eye opening. :)

I do know that many 4X people say that one of the best things they did to improve the sound was to play with the EQ settings.
I have looked into others creating sets. They are done well, in my opinion.
I rely on maybe 5-7 registers on most of my shows. To remember a certain set for a particular song is too mind boggling.
My accordion is used primarily for world music. The reason is, I have a Korg arranger to play country, classic rock, standards, etc.

I Strolled a large room of over 800 guests Wednesday night. Had no problem being heard without external amplification. Some though I was playing along with tracks using the drum sounds on the left hand. Could not be done with eq and effects settings from factory. But, do not think it is that complicated as some may think?
I do not think Roland intended to program sets to the liking of all. Buying an arranger too requires your own personal settings.

torch
Improver
Improver

Post by torch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 pm

Keymn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 pm
I have owned my fr4x for 8 months now. I would like to start your feedback on this model.
Here is mine:
1. Portability light weight - I like the fact I can stroll and the smaller size gives some nice bellows action.
2. Battery life - used up to 4 hour gigs. Holds charge. Always have a second battery pack ready and charged.
3. Accordion volume . Very good, lot better then expected. EQ is important setting. Very clean sounding. Notice no distortion, even at full volume.
4. Accordion sounds - factory sounds need tweaking slightly. I intend to like it more bright with effects.

Have no regrets on this purchase. Had to go to smaller size which was one of the big reasons of this purchase.
I agree to just about everything that you said. When it comes to the orchestra sounds on the 4x, its inability to layer two orchestra sounds is a very limiting factor. The real magic begins to happen when layering two orchestra sounds just as on the 7x and 8x. For this reason, I view my 4x as a light midi controller to drive hardware and software sounds. In this regard, the biggest flaw of the 4x for me is its velocity levels on MIDI out. Bass/chord are too “hot” and the treble (accordion mode) is too weak. You have to bang on the keyboard with extreme force to reach the maximum value of 127 in expression cc#11. I don’t remember having any velocity issues with the FR1x, 3x, and the 7x is perfect. I had to explain a few times before the Roland rep began to understand the issue. I wrote to a manager with Roland US, and he said he would add to my letter and send it to Japan. The Ketron SD4 and my V3 Sound Desktop arranger have built-in features to overcome the velocity issue. Probably it’s because they are accordion friendly modules. However, when I play VST instruments, the issue is very obvious. I use an app to raise the velocity curve on midi channel one. I’ve hardware to do the same, but it’s a lot of chores to go through. Hopefully, the Japanese engineers will fix the issue in the next OS update.

Keymn
Expert
Expert

Post by Keymn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:49 pm

torch wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 pm
Keymn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 pm
Here is mine:

I agree to just about everything that you said. When it comes to the orchestra sounds on the 4x, its inability to layer two orchestra sounds is a very limiting factor. The real magic begins to happen when layering two orchestra sounds just as on the 7x and 8x. For this reason, I view my 4x as a light midi controller to drive hardware and software sounds. In this regard, the biggest flaw of the 4x for me is its velocity levels on MIDI out. Bass/chord are too “hot” and the treble (accordion mode) is too weak. You have to bang on the keyboard with extreme force to reach the maximum value of 127 in expression cc#11. I don’t remember having any velocity issues with the FR1x, 3x, and the 7x is perfect. I had to explain a few times before the Roland rep began to understand the issue. I wrote to a manager with Roland US, and he said he would add to my letter and send it to Japan. The Ketron SD4 and my V3 Sound Desktop arranger have built-in features to overcome the velocity issue. Probably it’s because they are accordion friendly modules. However, when I play VST instruments, the issue is very obvious. I use an app to raise the velocity curve on midi channel one. I’ve hardware to do the same, but it’s a lot of chores to go through. Hopefully, the Japanese engineers will fix the issue in the next OS update.
I have not tried using the 4x as a controller as of yet. I think this is an important issue, velocity.
Just keep your head up high and we can hope for the best in 2018.