The Forum Is Changing
Hi folks. Shortly this forum will be migrating to different software and, in addition, we will also have a new website address. To migrate all the posts, users, etc. will take a little time so there will be some downtime on the forum while this is done. I am trying to do this sooner rather than later so it may not be possible to give you prior notice of the downtime.
Once migrated to our new address, visitors to www.accordionists.co.uk will be automatically redirected to the new website address.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused, but the change to the software has now become really necessary.

New Roland V accordion coming............

For the modern ones among us.
Thomas N
Improver
Improver

Re: New Roland V accordion coming............

Post by Thomas N » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Restaurant gigs for me with an occasional private party on weekends. As an accordionist I'm usually not the primary act - that's usually a larger band. I've been in a working band for several years and honestly say I'm glad to be back out on my own!

3 hours is my absolute maximum. I don't use any sheet music and after three hours I need to start repeating songs. Jazz mostly - I can drag out All of Me for 15 minutes lol!
Current Accordions:

2003 Excelsior 960 Custom Magnante 5/5 - Hand Made Reeds
Excelsior 930 Van Damme Jazz Accordion - Hand Made Reeds
Roland FR-8X Digital Accordion - No Reeds

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:36 am

Thomas N wrote: I can drag out All of Me for 15 minutes lol!
Niiiiiiice! :D
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

acordiansam
Star
Star

Post by acordiansam » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:54 pm

My prob with solo is I get board. I need sum one else do feed off of and a front man for the audience.

Sorry! Off topic again! I just can't help it.

Thomas N
Improver
Improver

Post by Thomas N » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:41 pm

acordiansam wrote:My prob with solo is I get board. I need sum one else do feed off of and a front man for the audience.

Sorry! Off topic again! I just can't help it.
You're so correct about this fact! I have found that being a solo act the only way I can continue to keep myself entertained is to learn new songs. When somebody requests something like "All the things you are" it's almost painful because I've played it 5000 times before and improvising can only take you so far before you start snoring! Fortunately it's all background music for my playing so I don't have to be overly concerned with what the audience is thinking.

And this is almost 100% done with my FR-8X. There - kind of back on topic! :D
Current Accordions:

2003 Excelsior 960 Custom Magnante 5/5 - Hand Made Reeds
Excelsior 930 Van Damme Jazz Accordion - Hand Made Reeds
Roland FR-8X Digital Accordion - No Reeds

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:09 pm

I've been doing some snooping around on Google for FR-9x and one can find about a dozen conversations about two videos on YouTube... one is where some dude literally tears apart an acoustic accordion while playing ridiculously (a kind of stupid thing, I think it is staged), this video is named Roland FR-9x but has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything Roland. Smartly, he's disabled comments, else they would all call him an ass hundreds of times over by now. :lol: :lol:

The second refers to a YouTube video that is available but is marked as "private" and not visible to the general public. I bet this is the video we saw about 9 months ago from that Romanian source that showed the promo video of the Roland FR-9x, this is the one that Jim D. basically confirmed for us that it was a real Roland prototype. I don't know how Roland works, but generally speaking most manufacturers have completed or near completed items that are the next version. I am willing to bet that by now the FR-9x already exists and that it is likely that work for the 10x has already been started.

I say this because when I lived in Texas years ago, I stopped in at the head office of Intel in Dallas. Back then the dual core processors had *just* come out, but after talking with the chief of development there, he showed me a few prototypes, like a 64-core processor that was in a liquid cooled case on a motherboard that supported 4TB of RAM (yes that's *4 terabytes, back in the days when 100gb drives were king... lol), and today we have computers that just in the last year can touch 256G of RAM on the high-end motherboards, and that's what, perhaps 15 years ago. Car manufacturers are about 3-5 years ahead.

So, it's pretty fair to believe that there is a 9x somewhere around the corner.

JeffJetton
Superstar
Superstar

Post by JeffJetton » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Thomas N wrote:3 hours is my absolute maximum. I don't use any sheet music and after three hours I need to start repeating songs. Jazz mostly - I can drag out All of Me for 15 minutes lol!
All of me
You've just heard all of me
Can't you see
I've exhausted my tune list

Take my arms
They're tired of squeezing
Take my box
The sound's no longer pleasing

Your requests
I tried to play my best
Now a rest
Is what I'm sorely needing

I'm soaked with sweat
From playing all those sets
So you've just heard all of me!

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:20 pm

HAH!

acordiansam
Star
Star

Post by acordiansam » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:54 pm

I 2nd the HaHa!

lasvegascolonel
Expert
Expert

Post by lasvegascolonel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:19 am

I've been off the forum for several months, but am wondering...whether FR8-X, 4-X, etc, if I am home playing the accordion in my room, could I just not use pure electric with the AC adapter rather than feeding my instrument batteries? Seems Jim D. mentioned awhile back that you don't need batteries to run this. I just find it odd that you wouldn't use a more convenient setup at home rather than batteries. Of course, if you were performing on stage, the batteries would be highly preferable.

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:12 am

Of course you can. That's the reason for a power supply.
The box is also lighter without batteries. Many performers use a power supply when playing sitting. Now for strolling, you will need batteries.
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Keymn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:51 pm

I did have a problem with the power connection pull out while playing unknowingly. I secured it as pictured.
4E68CE55-97B6-42DF-A2F1-42F50C0FEE6A.jpeg
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

Alan Sharkis
Expert
Expert
Location: East Meadow (Long Island - Nassau County) New York, USA

Post by Alan Sharkis » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:13 pm

JerryPH wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:08 pm
Streaming link here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/PG8m95Hty9b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They don't mention the V-accordion specifically anywhere... but ever since the leak of the FR-9x from Romania earlier this year, we can say almost certainly that it is merely an evolutionary change, not revolutionary... and since the Bugari uses 100% Roland electronics, its not likely because of the release of the Bugari because sonically they are identical and come from the same manufacturer. :)

Whatever new electronics they release, the Bugari Evo will most certainly be available with them, but if Roland is smart, they'll release it to Bugari at a later date to give the Roland brand first chance on the market.

Just think... there is a possibility of getting a new Roland 9x that is cheaper than a new Bugari with 8X electronics! :D

There is a sonic difference between the EVO and the 8x to my ears and to the ears of many others. I used to think that difference was attributed to the wood body of the EVO but then again, all accordions are made of wood. I heard another theory to explain the difference: Take 8x speakers and put them in a different enclosure (the EVO) and you change the tonal balance.

What do you think?

At any rate, I'm always anxious to hear about progress in accordion or V-accordion design and I will NOT feel bad about a new release shortly after I bought a 4x :D

Alan Sharkis

kep
Novice
Novice

Post by kep » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:05 am

Alan Sharkis wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:13 pm

There is a sonic difference between the EVO and the 8x to my ears and to the ears of many others. I used to think that difference was attributed to the wood body of the EVO but then again, all accordions are made of wood. I heard another theory to explain the difference: Take 8x speakers and put them in a different enclosure (the EVO) and you change the tonal balance.

What do you think?

Alan Sharkis
You are right attributing the EVO sound difference to the wood cabinet. According to Marco Cingalia no change has been made electronically, it's just the wood that makes the difference.
BTW, the FR-8X cabinet is plastic, not wood.

Regards,
Kep

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am

A change that is 100% negated if you use external amplification or recording equipment.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Keymn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:35 pm

JerryPH wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 am
A change that is 100% negated if you use external amplification or recording equipment.
On my live stage shows (unless strolling), I never use accordion speakers. I can hear the mix better with the vocals and arranger blend. It is a little weird when I stroll out wireless when nothing comes out of accordion speakers? No different if playing a Keytar keys or electric guitar. But it has been working well at my restaurant house gig. Never had a volume complaint. But that’s me!
A upgrade in the electronics is what I would like to see.
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:24 am

Alan Sharkis wrote:

What do you think?
Check out this lengthy doc about tonal qualities of different materials with the same actuator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkyGDqU7xA

funny thing is he concludes with XPS panels (extruded polystyrene) and balsa wood being the best "speakers" so he installs them in his living room :mrgreen:

Alan Sharkis
Expert
Expert
Location: East Meadow (Long Island - Nassau County) New York, USA

Post by Alan Sharkis » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:58 am

jozz wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:24 am
Alan Sharkis wrote:

What do you think?
Check out this lengthy doc about tonal qualities of different materials with the same actuator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkyGDqU7xA

funny thing is he concludes with XPS panels (extruded polystyrene) and balsa wood being the best "speakers" so he installs them in his living room :mrgreen:
Now, thqt's an interesting and informative video!

I got into a discussion about what alters the sound of an accordion on the Facebook GR8 IDEAS page. (IDEAS is an acronym for "International Digital Electronic Accordion Society".) Somebody asked me if the enclosure characteristics were the only factor that accounted for the tonal difference between the FR-8x and the EVO and I responded that it's not the only factor, but there are many and went on to list a few. Then, somebody responded to my post and offered another video. It seems that Shure, the microphone manufacturer, was illustrating different ways to mike an accordion, and in the introduction to that video they claimed that an accordion produces sounds with different frequencies emphasized depending on where the listener is relative to the accordion. The video's url is:

http://blog.shure.com/eight-ways-to-mic ... 1KNvwNvWfc

in case you or anyone else is interested.

By the way, one way to mike an accordion that was not discussed in the video is to hang an omni-directional microphone above the accordionist's head. That was told to me by my accordion teacher, who has had some training and experience as a recording engineer.

Alan Sharkis

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:58 am

A very informative video Alan. Thanks for bringing our attention to it.
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA