Maui 5 Speakers

For the modern ones among us.
Rhelsing
Improver
Improver
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Maui 5 Speakers

Post by Rhelsing » Fri May 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Thought I would report that I recently purchased a set of Maui 5 speakers for use with my Concerto Accordion. After a year of swapping out speakers for something that was portable, but could handle the entire range of this accordion from the deep, deep bases to the vey high end - I finally found one. These things push 800 amps but only way 35 is - so great sound and easy to transport. if youa re playing a midi accordion and are not totally happy with the speakers - you should give them a try. They are about $600 each. made in Germany. You can get them here in the US from Accordions International.

torch
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 am

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by torch » Sat May 05, 2018 5:51 am

I've heard good things about the Maui 5 by LD Systems in comparison with the Bose Compact. I've owned their Maui 11 and Maui 28 "designed in Germany" but all assembled in Red China. Amazon has some reviews https://www.amazon.com/LD-Systems-MAUI- ... merReviews

If a person plays a lot with backup or arranger, he or she might want to look into a 2.1 stereo system such as the Lucas Nano 602. https://www.kraftmusic.com/hk-audio-luc ... undle.html

or the DAVE 8 ROADIE by LD Systems https://www.amazon.com/LD-Systems-LDDAV ... E+8+ROADIE

Another LD Systems
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LD-Systems-DAV ... SwbYZXf6eT

There are some other 2.1 systems that can run in mono or stereo.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by Keymn » Sat May 05, 2018 7:04 am

Right now I invested about 5 years ago QSC12 which are serving me well.
The QSC touch 8 is my next consideration. This may be the next generation of mixers. Hook it up to an external hard drive and you can multitrack record your live shows. Mix it down on your DAW. They even have EQ presets built in. Just think of the possibilities! Upgrades will be available since this a touch screen.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ital-mixer
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by jozz » Mon May 07, 2018 8:21 am

Keymn wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:04 am
This may be the next generation of mixers.
is already

I think 80% of shows now will have sound engineers running around the house mixing on a touch screen

3 years ago this was considered futuristic

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am
Location: Germany

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by Geronimo » Mon May 07, 2018 8:37 am

jozz wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:21 am
Keymn wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:04 am
This may be the next generation of mixers.
is already

I think 80% of shows now will have sound engineers running around the house mixing on a touch screen

3 years ago this was considered futuristic
Considering that faders smaller than 120mm were considered toys not sensitive enough for serious sound engineers, a touch screen seems like a rather fiddly solution more useful for setting up a static mix than live control of sound.

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by jozz » Mon May 07, 2018 10:22 am

decent FOH mixer will have a physical desk and such, but it will almost always be digital and part of a networked system nowadays in which you can clone the controls to any device you like

btw in my recent search for a personal amp I also tried the Maui and I liked it a lot, especially at the price compared to the competition

torch
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 am

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by torch » Tue May 08, 2018 2:48 am

jozz wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:22 am
btw in my recent search for a personal amp I also tried the Maui and I liked it a lot, especially at the price compared to the competition
It seems that in Europe there are speakers/amps that are not easily available in the US. So what system do you have/use, if I many ask?

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by jozz » Tue May 08, 2018 8:06 am

torch wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:48 am
jozz wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:22 am
btw in my recent search for a personal amp I also tried the Maui and I liked it a lot, especially at the price compared to the competition
It seems that in Europe there are speakers/amps that are not easily available in the US. So what system do you have/use, if I many ask?
I now use the Acus One 8c from Italy, it is a company branched off from Schertler.

torch
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 am

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by torch » Wed May 09, 2018 6:04 am

That's a good looking amp. Thanks.

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by jozz » Wed May 23, 2018 8:40 pm

Keymn wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:04 am
The QSC touch 8 is my next consideration.
This weekend I'm going to play with a guy that uses one. Last week I did a soundcheck for the venue where he paired them with two Bose S1's. He set the levels with a tablet.

If you need to know specific things I can find you some answers if you like.

xocd
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 pm
Location: Somerville, MA, USA

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by xocd » Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 am

Rhelsing wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:07 pm
These things push 800 amps ...
Did you by any chance mean watts? I would not want to be in the same room with anything that is handling 800 amps at household voltages :-)
xocd
Somerville, MA

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am
Location: Germany

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by Geronimo » Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 am

xocd wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 am
Rhelsing wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:07 pm
These things push 800 amps ...
Did you by any chance mean watts? I would not want to be in the same room with anything that is handling 800 amps at household voltages :-)
We tried to jump start an old tractor from a car battery and alternator. Quite unimpressed, and we aborted the attempt when the jumpstart cable clamp contacts started glowing and melting through the plastic of the clamps. Which was just a few seconds in the attempt. Had to charge the battery (135Ah) for a few hours instead. Started without much trouble then.

Do 12V count as "household voltage"? Though admittedly we weren't in any "room".

xocd
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 pm
Location: Somerville, MA, USA

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by xocd » Thu May 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Geronimo wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 am
Do 12V count as "household voltage"? Though admittedly we weren't in any "room".
Living in the US, I was thinking 120V; 220V would be scarier.
xocd
Somerville, MA

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am
Location: Germany

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by Geronimo » Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 pm

xocd wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:48 pm
Geronimo wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 am
Do 12V count as "household voltage"? Though admittedly we weren't in any "room".
Living in the US, I was thinking 120V; 220V would be scarier.
Frankly, seeing the big clamps start to glow and their plastic to melt was scary enough, particularly since the starter engine did hardly budge. You don't want to think about what will happen if you short the battery that has no problems starting up the tractor when loaded.

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by Keymn » Thu May 24, 2018 3:26 pm

jozz wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:40 pm
Keymn wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:04 am
The QSC touch 8 is my next consideration.
This weekend I'm going to play with a guy that uses one. Last week I did a soundcheck for the venue where he paired them with two Bose S1's. He set the levels with a tablet.

If you need to know specific things I can find you some answers if you like.
The thing is effects. Not sure if anyone uses compression effects on accordion. Check out this multitrack I recorded yesterday. I put lots of compression on my FR4x. Have it on my mixer.
https://youtu.be/Cu4xfn3dtaU
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by jozz » Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am

I love how YT ties your video to these suggestions :mrgreen:

anyway if there is time I will try to get a recording of the QSC's compression
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by Keymn » Fri May 25, 2018 2:37 pm

jozz wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am
I love how YT ties your video to these suggestions :mrgreen:

anyway if there is time I will try to get a recording of the QSC's compression
Strange thing? On my Yamaha mixer, the accordion channel has a one knob compression. I turned it up full clockwise in this recording. I would think you would hear a more pumping sound trying to compress constantly. Maybe it is only me but compression made playing a bit more easy as far as bellow movement. Resulrs a smooth signal output. Give your thoughts on this if you try it on your accordion. Again I am not an expert on this but with many mixing YouTube’s do’s and don’ts, they always mention with EQ, compression, etc. “a setting may not make any sense, but if it sounds good, go with it”.
I think we should pull away from this thread and start a new one with effects, compression, EQ.
As far as You Tubes ties, do not know how it works. Think my key words were more like polka, Oktoberfest, etc.
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by Keymn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:46 pm

jozz wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am
I love how YT ties your video to these suggestions :mrgreen:

anyway if there is time I will try to get a recording of the QSC's compression
Not sure how you tube works when it comes to suggestions? Polkas are relaxing??? 😬
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

Keymn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by Keymn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Keymn wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:46 pm
jozz wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am
I love how YT ties your video to these suggestions :mrgreen:

anyway if there is time I will try to get a recording of the QSC's compression
Not sure how you tube works when it comes to suggestions? Polkas are relaxing??? 😬
Go to this link of music player. Various songs and different mixes. On the last song, “Let Us Watch” I hear a popping sound on my “p” words. I think I over compressed the voice? Mixing and effects is very interesting to me.🤔
https://www.larryrobertsent.com/music-player.html
Larry Roberts Entertainment
http://www.larryrobertsent.com

User avatar
jozz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am
Location: Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands

Re: Maui 5 Speakers

Post by jozz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:06 pm

hard to tell what's going on exactly without specifics on your mastering and the original tracks

there is a problem at the start of some lines the ones that start with "put..", that could be a compression problem however I hear the master level go down not only the vocal track, as I would've expected. It "bends" down like you would expect with a compressor.

Do you compress the final mix?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests