Greetings from Italy.

Give us a clue - who, and where, are you?
Hyacinthedera
Novice
Novice

Greetings from Italy.

Post by Hyacinthedera » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:25 am

Hello everybody. I am Arianna, a girl from Ferrara, Italy. I start apologizing for the imperfect English.
I play the violin since 4 years, and in the last months a strong and relentless passion for accordion also has born in me. So I am intent of buying a piano accordion the next months, trying this experience that seems very hard for me, since it seems to be a really difficult instrument - I'm scared of the idea of doing three different moviments simultaneously while playing, and also of the idea that the accordion is big and heavy and I am small and slim... Moreover I don't find teachers in my city and I will study alone. But since the passion is strong, I will try. This forum can be a really interesting and useful place for me.
Cheers. :)

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Greetings from Italy.

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:10 pm

Hello Arianna,

Welcome to the forum, where I hope you will profit from the experience of other members.

It is very reassuring to know that younger people are interested in playing the accordion, and you are to be particularly commended for realising that it is not an easy instrument to play.

You obviously do not need me to tell you that only dedicated practice will bring results, especially as you already play an instrument.

When choosing an instrument that is right for you, please consider the size of your accordion very carefully. I am quite sure that you will make a decision which is right for you.

Your English is fine, and very much better than my Italian. We do have a few Italian speakers on the forum, who I am certain would be only too pleased to assist you in the unlikely event that you need assistance.

Please tell us the genre of music you are interested in playing, together with any ideas you may already have about the makes & models you would like to own.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

EMan
Expert
Expert

Post by EMan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Ciao' Arianna,

Ti saluto e benvenuto al nostro forum ! Spero che riesci perseguire la fisarmonica. Non e' difficile come sembra ! Qui, c'e' molto informazioni da molto persone chi e' ben informato ! E' un forum dov'e si puo' trovare tutto. Spero che trovi un maestro della fisarmonica per aiutarti ad imparare. E' piu facile che stare da sola. Mi scuso per il mio italiano. Sbaglio con la grammatica. Sono nato negli stati uniti e ho suonato la fisarmonica per 63 anni. Se avete assistenza con il soggetto della fisarmonica o con la lingua inglese, sono al tuo disposizione.

Ciao'
Ed

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Welcome to the forum, Arianna. You will find us a friendly group! :)

Did you know that you are only 270km from what I like to call "Accordion Heaven" (Castel Fidardo in Ancona), pretty much the birthplace and home of many of the world's most famous accordion manufacturers! So, depending on your budget, you should definitely have no problems finding the perfect instrument for you and your budget.

The accordion can be a difficult instrument, but only in the beginning, because there are many small new habits and proper ways of setting the straps, of having hand positions and good posture and many other things, but after a short while, this all becomes automatic and you can concentrate on the music.

Ciao!
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

Stephen
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Stephen » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Hello Arianna,
Welcome to the accordionist forum.
If you happen to know people from Castelfidardo, they are most welcome.

So great to learn accordion enthusiasts from Italy, Poland, Spain,... want to join this forum and the accordion chat and discussion.

Howie
Expert
Expert

Post by Howie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:14 pm

Hello Arianna,

Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join. Ciao :)

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:01 am

Benvenoto Airanna:
Sei felice di esserre entrato.
Non abbiate paura di domande qui .

Ciao:
Giacomo D'Ascanio
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA

Hyacinthedera
Novice
Novice

Post by Hyacinthedera » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:13 am

Thank you all very much for your welcome, and your advantages and encouragements. I'm happy to hear that it's not too hard. Regarding the genre, I'm mainly interested in playing classical music.
JerryPH wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Did you know that you are only 270km from what I like to call "Accordion Heaven" (Castel Fidardo in Ancona), pretty much the birthplace and home of many of the world's most famous accordion manufacturers! So, depending on your budget, you should definitely have no problems finding the perfect instrument for you and your budget.
True, I have the luck of being quite close to Castelfidardo. But unfortunately, the maxium budget I can spend at least for now (for my first accordion) is 150/200 €. I don't think there are accordions at that price there, true? I have seen online (for example Ebay) some used accordions at that price, hoping they are working.

Hyacinthedera
Novice
Novice

Post by Hyacinthedera » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:24 am

Stephen Hawkins wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:10 pm

When choosing an instrument that is right for you, please consider the size of your accordion very carefully. I am quite sure that you will make a decision which is right for you.
Can I ask you more clarifications about that? I'm quite ignorant in this. How can I choose the size? Looking at the number of basses? How many basses should the accordion have?

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 am

Dear Arianna,

I suppose the only way for you to know which instrument is right for you is to try a few different sizes. This would probably involve visiting an accordion dealer, who may also be a good source of advice.

Others on this forum may advise you differently, but I would say that a 72/34 would be the most useful size for you to learn on. (72 Bass/34 Treble) I am mindful of your smaller stature, and concerned that a bigger instrument may prove to be too heavy and cumbersome for you.

You mentioned the fact that you want to play classical music on your accordion, which would appear to rule out instruments smaller than a 72/34. Had folk music been your preferred genre, I would probably have advised you to consider a smaller instrument. (perhaps a 48 Bass)

I understand that you are keen to purchase an accordion, but urge you to take your time over its selection. Accordions are expensive items, and I would hate you to rush into the purchase of an instrument which failed to meet your particular requirements.

If you have any more questions about the instrument you wish to purchase, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Hyacinthedera
Novice
Novice

Post by Hyacinthedera » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Thank you for the advices, now I have clearest ideas about the best type of accordion for me. I can't buy it immediately for economic reasons, but only in the next months, so I have the time for think and selectionate it.
I agree that it could be the best size for me. So I will search a 72/34, at a low price. Probably I will buy an used accordion, not new, always for price reasons.
Arianna.

Happy girl
Star
Star

Post by Happy girl » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:36 pm

I wonder, Arianna, as are mainly interested in playing classical music, if a 72 bass will be enough? I am not sure, but something tells me that you may need more range to your instrument for the type of genre you want to play.

I would be interested in hearing from our more experienced players on this subject if only to clarify this for myself; I needed to change very quickly from 72 to a 120 bass just to study the Palmer Hughes books, so it seems to me that classical music may need an accordion with more scope?

If you do need a 120 bass for your needs Arianna, please don't despair; lighter ladies models are available with smaller keys.

Good luck with your new venture, you will not be the only one learning alone, there are a lot of us about.

Fortunately we have 'The Forum.'

Stephen Hawkins
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Stephen Hawkins » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 pm

Dear Arianna,

I feel confident that you will select an instrument which fits your stature and musical needs. It is always best if you are able to try an instrument before you buy it, and that would be my advice to you.

The 72/34 is a much easier instrument to learn on than a 120/41, and should have sufficient range for most of the tunes you want to play. If, at some time in the future, you begin to find tunes which are beyond its range, you may then wish to trade up to a 96 or 120 Bass instrument.

Whatever you decide to buy, it is going to take a couple of years to become fully competent and at ease with it. (perhaps even longer.) You will know yourself when the time is right to step up to a bigger instrument, by which time you may have saved enough money to buy one.

Best Wishes & Kindest Regards,

Stephen.

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:37 pm

This "accordionists" forum includes some people who really play classical music, and I'm sure would be happy to entertain this question about a good initial choice of accordion - when they see that it has been asked. So I suggest that, at your convenience, you post that question in the "Accordion Chat" subforum, with an appropriate thread subject title, and I'm sure you'll get some useful responses right away.

In case you don't know, Italy has its own Fisarmonica Forum, and I'm pleased to see it's still active and while perhaps not the equal of our "accordionists" forum, there are good people there and the cordial atmosphere you would expect from an Italian community.