Suggestions for other tunes, please!

Every month a new tune to try!
Anyanka

Suggestions for other tunes, please!

Post by Anyanka » Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Opening a new thread for suggestions for future tunes of the month. There'll be one Folky type tune (from anywhere in the world) and one Other every month.

Please give an indication of the type of music (folk, blues, pop, jazz, easy listening - anything goes!) and the difficulty level. I will try and select one easy tune each month so that everyone can have a go. We'll sort the sheet music out when a tune is actually put forward as TotM, so for now just title, type & difficulty, plus whatever chat & banter goes with it!

Oh, and just to repeat: this is just for fun, not competition. No actual prizes will be awarded. ;)

Pippa
Star
Star

Re: Suggestions for other tunes, please!

Post by Pippa » Sat May 11, 2013 4:06 pm

So far Glenn and I have both been having a go at an easy classical Chopin piece? {}
32 bass Weltmeister PA, 120 bass Voskhod PA (Soviet, it's in Estonia), 120 bass Hohner Polyphonic 400 PA

smdc66
Superstar
Superstar

Post by smdc66 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:34 pm

[quote="Anyanka"]Opening a new thread for suggestions for future tunes of the month. There'll be one Folky type tune (from anywhere in the world) and one Other every month.

Please give an indication of the type of music

if we do this what happens next - you choose the final tune(s) ?

you may end up with losts of tunes,themes,genres to choose from
Me, Myself and My Hohner

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Sun May 12, 2013 9:29 am

Yes, I'll select two tunes each month from the suggestions - and I'm very much hoping to end up with lots of different tunes from different genres!

mjh
Improver
Improver

Post by mjh » Tue May 14, 2013 8:43 am

I'd like to propose a waltz called Metsäkukkia, it's easy I think. The origins of the song are not known, it might be Russian, but it was first recorded in 1931 with this name. I'll participate in totm once I finish the tutorbook, which might take quite awhile to be honest.
[align=left]Jedes Herz ist eine revolutionäre Zelle.[/align]

Pippa
Star
Star

Post by Pippa » Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 am

mjh wrote:I'd like to propose a waltz called Metsäkukkia, it's easy I think. The origins of the song are not known, it might be Russian, but it was first recorded in 1931 with this name. I'll participate in totm once I finish the tutorbook, which might take quite awhile to be honest.
Finnish name, though?
32 bass Weltmeister PA, 120 bass Voskhod PA (Soviet, it's in Estonia), 120 bass Hohner Polyphonic 400 PA

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 am

I was going to suggest Für Elise but I might get linched (virtually I hope).
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 am

Glenn wrote:I was going to suggest Für Elise but I might get linched (virtually I hope).
Why not? Do you have an accordion-ready version or would we have to work it out ourselves? I've got sheet music for Elise on piano. The second half is really hard though.

mjh
Improver
Improver

Post by mjh » Tue May 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Pippa wrote:
mjh wrote:I'd like to propose a waltz called Metsäkukkia, it's easy I think. The origins of the song are not known, it might be Russian, but it was first recorded in 1931 with this name. I'll participate in totm once I finish the tutorbook, which might take quite awhile to be honest.
Finnish name, though?
I guess that's just how things worked back then. I found out that the Russian waltz called Ожидание, Expectation in English, has some similarities, but it's way more difficult. Maybe the one who composed Metsäkukkia took some ideas from the Russian waltz for his own composition. Or maybe the similarities are just a coincidence, like certain kind of chord progressions being favoured in certain areas and/or time periods, but for all intents and purposes they do sound like different songs.
Last edited by mjh on Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mjh
Improver
Improver

Post by mjh » Tue May 14, 2013 12:48 pm

By the way, what does folk mean in the context of totm? Roughly the same as traditional?

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Tue May 14, 2013 1:09 pm

mjh wrote:By the way, what does folk mean in the context of totm? Roughly the same as traditional?
Yes.... and for the sake of balance it should include non-British folk/trad, too. There are bound to be tunes that straddle the boundary in which case it'll be up to me to decide what they are.

Oh, the power!

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Tue May 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Anyanka wrote:
Glenn wrote:I was going to suggest Für Elise but I might get linched (virtually I hope).
Why not? Do you have an accordion-ready version or would we have to work it out ourselves? I've got sheet music for Elise on piano. The second half is really hard though.
In fact, to my shame, I do have an accordion version of Für Elise.
Never played it out of respect but I could have a go I guess.
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;

Daveg4otu

Post by Daveg4otu » Mon May 20, 2013 9:49 pm

May I suggest Diggy Liggy Lo...cajun tune....plenty examples on the internet...below is one by John Fogerty... yes that John Fogerty(Bad Moon Rising)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgmEaTbnCr0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Tue May 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Nice one - noted!

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Wed May 22, 2013 11:22 pm

how about The Swedish Masquerade which I understand is a Danish tune.

george

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 pm

How about a simple blues number? I'm not sure what yet but there must be something online we can "half-inch"?

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Sounds like a plan. I'm open to suggestions (as always); alternatively, I can have a dig through my sheet music library.

St James's Infirmary is one that springs to mind... and guess what, I just found a version of it by the band that made me take up the accordion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9OsrJZkFB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ganza
Expert
Expert

Post by Ganza » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:58 pm

How about a "forro" tune from North-Eastern Brazil? Forro is Brazil's version of the Schotische!
I amazed that on this forum that noone seems to be aware of Brazil's incredible accordion tradition...
I've only just started playing accordion, so couldn't even attempt these, but maybe the more advanced members could!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E6vIkN_EbQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (he starts the lesson at 2.20mins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yggTYnW4vtE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Piermaria Super Prodige, C-System, LMMH

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Hello Ganza,

Our paths cross yet again, probably because we seem to like the same stuff. I've listened to Forro and like it very much. However, it's one of those genres that is little known outside of its country of origin, and unfortunately is likely to remain as such. If I were to pull out my accordion here in Scotland and tell everybody that I was just about to play a few Forro tunes for their enjoyment, even if I was the best Forro player in the world, I doubt whether many would sit through the second number. People like us appreciate most kinds of music, but unfortunately we form a very small minority group. Basically, in my experience, if people are not familiar with a style of music, they simply cannot appreciate it.

I live in Europe and have never heard of most of the "big name" American accordionists. I hadn't even heard of the Palmer-Hughes accordion method, which is apparently one of the most popular methods in the English speaking world, until I joined this forum. I've learned a lot more since, and wish I'd been able to expand my knowledge of the instrument years ago. My knowledge of the accordion is limited to France, Italy, and Belgium, and even then there are large gaps.
Last edited by maugein96 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JIM D.
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JIM D. » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:38 am

I've really not posted on the tune of the month in the past. But, if I may suggest a tune for October?? In the US this time of year is Oktoberfest month and the beer makers offer a timely brew and clubs have Oktoberfest party's . So how about the "Happy Wanderer" it's not hard to play and can be picked up by ear. --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aQPdgjtn8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- or --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN-lW2pZWK4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Owner & Operator "THE FISARMONICA SHOP" Chicopee, MA USA