Tune of July: Metsäkukkia

Every month a new tune to try!
Anyanka

Tune of July: Metsäkukkia

Post by Anyanka » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm taking this down to one tune per month for now - after all, you can always try one of the previous ones if this doesn't appeal to you. There's no closing date!

This month's tune was suggested by mjh; it's another waltz, probably from Finland. There are a number of different versions on the Session, please pick one you like (see link below)! I've printed out the very first one and will have a go at that as soon as I've figured out what to do with the bass on the Chopin.

http://thesession.org/tunes/4585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Tune of July: Metsäkukkia

Post by jarvo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Beggar ...is it that time of the end of the beginning of the new old month.......I haven't got to grippers wiv da slockit wrench light thingy yet !!....How many tunes can you try and learn at one time before your brain simply says "Young Bovines of the male variety" and goes on a sabbatical ??.......

I may be trying to hard ......and damn that Jenny Jones if she isn't still fighting back........feisty shrew ! :lol: :hb

Tom
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Tom » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Cool tune, thanks Anyanka. Interesting comments and background on the session. Will give it a try, probably not post but at least play. ;)
Last edited by Tom on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reedwarbler
Expert
Expert

Post by Reedwarbler » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:22 pm

For the "earists" with split personality ;)

I do not know the tune. Could somebody please let me know if this is good rendition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vMGSp_9UBg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Sounds lovely, and reasonably similar to the notes I printed out. The final word should come from mjh though as he proposed the tune!

donn
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by donn » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Strictly in terms of a good rendition (no thought to how it fits in with "Tune of the Month"), this is the one I have bookmarked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVMymVg5p4. On a melodion(?) The couple of Norwegian and Finnish tunes I've picked up have been from diatonic performances, just as would tend to be the case with English folk music.

[edit]One thing I like about it, for example: listen for a chord change from minor to major, in the long notes in the first melody, where for example a VI changes to a I under the sustained melody/harmony notes. I could have mis-heard, it's surprisingly subtle, but interesting. The chromatic renditions I've seen have been a bit lugubrious for my taste.

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:25 pm

That's a sprightly played little version of this......and yes it does have a less mournful sound ....tho' Melodeons are not my particular (they often sound a bit mechanically noisy....tho' that could be a recording trait) cup of tea this does sound very nice ........ :tup:

Daveg4otu

Post by Daveg4otu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Still slogging Da Slockit so far - may be a while before I reach this one ...Got Agnes to murder first.

This is more my kind of stuff(Can't do this yet but I am trying - very trying!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwkdLApULU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Now that's what I'm talking about......that is some blue accordion dude .....going to hafta add him to my new faves list...........Slockit in Da bin ........this fo' sho' goin' down .....and other such jive ........good post...... :lol: :ch {}

Daveg4otu

Post by Daveg4otu » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:51 pm

jarvo wrote:Now that's what I'm talking about......that is some blue accordion dude .....going to hafta add him to my new faves list...........Slockit in Da bin ........this fo' sho' goin' down .....and other such jive ........good post...... :lol: :ch {}

You like it!....you won't when you hear my effort ...which I will post when I eventually work out how to do it!(Play the tune and post the sound file - both)
:roll:

Knobby
Admin
Admin

Post by Knobby » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:32 pm

jarvo wrote:Now that's what I'm talking about......that is some blue accordion dude .....going to hafta add him to my new faves list...........Slockit in Da bin ........this fo' sho' goin' down .....and other such jive ........good post...... :lol: :ch {}
Any chance of a translation into English? :lol:
Hohner Vox 4P, Hohner Tango II, Galotta Continent. I just wish I could play them!

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Maybe the August tune should be a blues number. Any ideas and sources?
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Glenn wrote:Maybe the August tune should be a blues number. Any ideas and sources?
Good idea. But please make suggestions for other TotMs in the "Suggestions" thread, as that's where I'll look for them when I've forgotten what comes next ;)

Oh, and I like that 'Louisiana Blues'. A lot.

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 am

Jarvo, I have moved your Soundcloud link and Glenn's response to it to the Chopin thread!

fjsys
Star
Star

Post by fjsys » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Since it doesn't look like I will be re-recording Metsakukkia any time real soon, I figured I may post the last recording I made of it.

https://soundcloud.com/fjsys/metsakukkia-7-19-13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a recording from the middle of the month. I have been using soundcloud to track my progress, and was having great success with it till my left shoulder gave out again...
Hopefully I can get it to calm down and I can get some expression out of things again.

Ben

Matt Butcher
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by Matt Butcher » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Ben, you may have noticed I had already found it and I thought it was really nice, lovely sound, great ideas. I listened to it twice and then decided to stop as I'm trying to get my own version together and I knew I would end up remembering what you had done. It was very rich sounding and emotional or that was what I thought.

fjsys
Star
Star

Post by fjsys » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Matt- Thank you for the kind words. I did notice that you found it, and am glad you liked it.
Ben

jarvo
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by jarvo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:30 am

Quite delightful and very haunting melody, beautifully played.....has almost a Russian sound to it...as they are your neighbours not surprising....I can almost hear a balalaika thrumming away with this..hmmm ...delightful....almost makes me want to stop my effort ...but I won't ....

Cheers

Chris

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 pm

Soundcloud is working for me today, at long last! That is a beautiful version, Ben. As Matt said, though, I'll have to not listen to it too much, as I'm still working on my interpretation!

I feel that the tune has a Russian feel to it naturally, too, and you've brought that out even more.

fjsys
Star
Star

Post by fjsys » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:31 pm

Thank you all for the kind words.
Ben