Les inconnus de musette

From French cafe music, across the Alps to the Balkans and beyond. This is the forum for you!

Moderator: Anyanka

Pipemajor
Improver
Improver

Re: Les inconnus de musette

Post by Pipemajor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 am

You're welcome. For me, reading the dots is the easy part, it's after that the fingers tie themselves in knots :hb

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:58 pm

Probably not wrong with this one...had a brief glance and looks like one of those digital tongue twisters....will put on hold for now....or find a simpler sheet...
This version looks over complex...here's Galliano's....which admittedly has a complex left hand...but an easier to remember melody....more within my capabilities of bastardising...eventually 😉
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IBESTSRuBtI
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Post by maugein96 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:31 pm

Looks like we are dealing with two different tunes with slightly different titles. The first clip is of Jean Delhom playing his own composition, which is simply called "la Foraine", which translates as "The Fairground". The word "valse" does not feature in the tune title at all.

Unfortunately French musette is full of such anomalies, further complicated by different players modifying the content of the scores in the name of individuality.

Galliano has probably done more than most to keep the accordion alive through difficult times, and I am very grateful to him for that. However, the "modern" playing styles which have evolved by people using his teaching method, and also by listening to him, are pretty far removed from the first two clips I put on this post. The guy is undoubtedly a world beater, but dare I say I'm not really a fan of his style?

Complicated left hand? It's all I can do to hit the right chords without trying fancy bass runs. I wasted years trying to master the Stradella bass fingering in the method book by Davide Anzaghi, only to discover that it wasn't really suitable for the type of music I played.

I think I've reached the stage where I'm content enough just to listen to the guys in the first two clips, and live with the fact that I don't have enough years left to be able to play like that.

Pipemajor
Improver
Improver

Post by Pipemajor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Apologies I got the wrong La foraine valse, I think this is the right one.
I googled jean delhom and under "partitions accordeon/jean delhom" you will find La foraine (valse).
You have to sign up (free) for a 5 day trial- no card details asked for and you can download it. :ch

maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Post by maugein96 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:31 pm

The partitions accordeon site used to be free indefinitely with some mp3 tracks included, but like everything else when there's money to be made....... I have used the site once or twice, but found the content isn't very comprehensive relative to the number of artistes listed. I suppose we should be grateful that it's there at all.

In Italy various publishers offer their "spartiti" free of charge, and there are whole volumes of free guitar and Greek bouzouki music online for the taking.

I'm off to Bouzoukiland again soon, and hopefully twice more next year. I've promised my wife there will be no more guitars, bouzoukis, or accordions, even if I can get free sheet music for them. Only the Greeks can play bouzouki well, and the French are probably the best at playing musette. Shame I cannot find excuses for my woeful efforts on the guitar or the accordion in general!

losthobos
Superstar
Superstar

Post by losthobos » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Happy holidays Maugien...and take heart...it's pointless the likes of us even murmuring and comparing ourselves to the greats of any era.....just play the bloody accordion in the style that is yours....the people listening, dancing aren't interested in a history lesson...they just feel something romantic, nostalgic or amusing...and that's enough ...
Right or wrong make it strong...when in doubt miss it out...

maugein96
Superstar
Superstar

Post by maugein96 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:30 pm

You're right Terry,

Couldn't get the telephone book down my trousers in time! Suffice to say that 2017 has been a very bad year, for me at least, and perhaps my enthusiasm for the music is suffering.

Aching fingers and joints have turned me into more of a listener than a player of late, and only my neighbours are getting the benefit of that. Nothing beats playing, but I'm having to stick with pretty basic stuff these days, and that sort of goes against the grain with me. Just hope I don't get arthritis in my ears!