What's a Piano Accordion?

From French cafe music, across the Alps to the Balkans and beyond. This is the forum for you!

Moderator: Anyanka

xocd
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: What's a Piano Accordion?

Post by xocd » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 pm

maugein96 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 pm
Group of youngsters from the north of Portugal playing a fado, at a music festival in Odemira in the Alentejo area.
I don't think they are playing a fado as I do not feel suicidal from listening to them :D . Fado is almost always sung; much slower; and much more melancholic. At least 80% of the effect is in the lyrics.
xocd
Somerville, MA

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: What's a Piano Accordion?

Post by maugein96 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:00 am

xocd wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 pm
maugein96 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 pm
Group of youngsters from the north of Portugal playing a fado, at a music festival in Odemira in the Alentejo area.
I don't think they are playing a fado as I do not feel suicidal from listening to them :D . Fado is almost always sung; much slower; and much more melancholic. At least 80% of the effect is in the lyrics.
Hi,

You're probably right there. When I was in Portugal the last time they were advertising a "fado" in one of the clubs. Turns out it was a mixture of different stuff:- corridinhos, passos (Portuguese spelling), and various other styles. I've "ass"umed that "fado" was just a Portuguese term for folkloric type entertainment and got it wrong. Apparently it is the music of the urban poor in Lisbon, and as such if there was no blood or tears running out of the accordions, it wasn't a fado, as you have observed.

I've always stayed away from singing, as it tends to be the prerogative of extremely happy or terribly sad bastards, and I have no real time for either. I like to think of myself as a half sad, half happy bastard, to coincide with my wit.