Easy jazz sheet music

Moderator: Glenn

Mr T

Easy jazz sheet music

Post by Mr T » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a good book (or other resource) of easy jazz pieces?

Thanks v much :)

simonking
Star
Star

Re: Easy jazz sheet music

Post by simonking » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:11 pm

How easy are we talking here? Are you a total beginner or a pianist already? There are some good arrangements of standards by Frank Marocco, but they're not exactly for complete beginners though not outrageously difficult either.

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:40 am

Good question Mr T.
Are you at the level yet where you can break out from the strtaight jacket of maj, min, 7th and dim?
To get a convincing jazz sound you will need to master at least the m7.
I will put my thinking capo on and see what i find that is at a jazz player beginning level.
1) Ballone Burini 46C (4+5) cassotto (LMMH) 3/3 PA; 2) Accordiola Piano V (5+5) cassotto (LMMMH) 3/3 PA;
3) Roland FR8X; 4) Hohner Vox 4k (LMMH) 3/3 CBA

Mr T

Post by Mr T » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the replies

In terms of accordion playing I am pretty much an absolute beginner - six months in - so still using the maj,min, 7, dim buttons. However, I am a long serving trombone & guitar player so I do at least know what the other chords, Maj7, min7 etc. sound like and how they are formed.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

MT.

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:50 am

Also: define jazz! The term covers so many different areas... I occasionally use '101 Jazz & Blues Hits for Buskers' .

It's got melodies and chords, nothing specific to the accordion. You might find it too simple as you are already an experienced musician.

Sarah
Star
Star

Post by Sarah » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Maybe this one?

60 Mini Swing Studien sample pages: http://www.stretta-music.com/en/kosnar- ... 39256.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have this book. It's good for beginners.

Mr T

Post by Mr T » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi again everyone and thank you for the replies, this is a friendly and helpful forum :D

I will decline the invitation to define jazz as I am sure that better people than me have tried, written entire theses, and failed. Suffice it to say that if I could play a serviceable rendition of 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square' or 'I loves you Porgy' then I would die happy.

101 Jazz and Blues Hits for Buskers seems up the right street - thank you for that. Is it arranged for accordion or do you have to construct the chords yourself?

Thanks again

BobM
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BobM » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:37 pm

The "101.....Buskers” series is good because they have good chord sequences without going to deep, and they’re well laid out with many books to choose from. You do have to work out your own arrangement from the melody line and chord symbols.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know..

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Mr T wrote:Hi again everyone and thank you for the replies, this is a friendly and helpful forum :D

I will decline the invitation to define jazz as I am sure that better people than me have tried, written entire theses, and failed. Suffice it to say that if I could play a serviceable rendition of 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square' or 'I loves you Porgy' then I would die happy.

101 Jazz and Blues Hits for Buskers seems up the right street - thank you for that. Is it arranged for accordion or do you have to construct the chords yourself?

Thanks again
According to the cover, 101 Hits is the "piano/organ edition with guitar chords". It's the kind of jazz I like (there is a lot of jazz that I respect but find painful). I've just scanned the contents page for more detail.

Russ
Expert
Expert

Post by Russ » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Try This: Very cheap as one of these books can easily cost 40-50 US just for one:
http://www.jazzrealbook.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or Free:
https://archive.org/details/fakebooks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also search Pirate bay for great collections of free fake and real books

Good luck

Pianoman1
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Pianoman1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:25 am

Sources I use are keyboard books which come with melody line and chords also chord shapes
Easiest piano series are also good

Easy guitar books which include basic jazz or blues which come with melody line lyrics and chords