Who am I?

Discussions & info on specific accordions here.
maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Re: Who am I?

Post by maugein96 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Here's a quote from a Parisian resident on Trip Advisor, of which I must say I am not a big fan, but the quote just about sums it up. This was in answer to a question posed by somebody in the US who was imminently due to vist Paris and wanted to enjoy some musette music there:-

"Sorry to disappoint you, questionposter, but this accordeon thing is probably Cliché Nr 1 when it comes to how Americans imagine Paris. There are no more accordeon players in Paris than Parisians with bérêts and moustache munching garlic in striped shirts. The only accordeon players you are likely to stumble upon in Paris are the annoying Romanian buskers slaughtering "La Vie en Rose" on the métro when you would like to have a conversation with your companion."

I've posted a link to a venue somebody has posted on the same thread.

It does look rather a bit tongue in cheek, and directed firmly at the tourists, but it does tend to suggest a semblance of enjoyment. Looks like you are more familiar with current Parisian prices than I am, and I don't think it would be a cheap night. Musically, I reckon it would fall well short of being top notch, but I could just about guarantee the prices would be.

Just in case you're wondering about Royson make accordions. Royson is a French music store which imported "own brand" accordions for a time, usually from Ballone Burini in Italy. If you ever see one on your travels they are well respected, but the big name players never received lucrative enough inducements to play them. Same with the Paul Beuscher brand, which were variously made by Paolo Soprani and later Piermaria. Augusto Baldi and Jo Privat are the only two "big names" I've seen playing that make. (Baldi's was a Soprani and Privat's was a Piermaria).

http://www.le-vieux-belleville.com/

My own accordion heroes were nearly all from the Nord department near the Belgian border, or from Belgium itself, and Paris was probably as foreign to some of them as it is to you and I, at least when they were younger. Most of them eventually succumbed to the big bucks and glitz of the capital, where they introduced that bit of "Ch'ti" to the Paris set.

Ch'ti is the nickname given to people in the far north on account of the fact that they pronounce the letter "c" as "ch", so "garcon" sounds like "garshon". Sh eashy onshe you get ushed to it!.

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Who am I?

Post by Geronimo » Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 pm

maugein96 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:54 pm
It does look rather a bit tongue in cheek, and directed firmly at the tourists, but it does tend to suggest a semblance of enjoyment.
Reminds me of the time I was in Venice where I got the info that singing gondolieres had been forbidden by the unions (probably because it mingles non-tariff occupations with transportation) so if you wanted a singer, you had to rent one separately. So I saw a tourist gondola with a singer in the prow doing the Italian opera version of "O sole mio", an enchanted not entirely young pair listening in the passenger seats, with the gondolier in the back moving the boat forward and cutting gruesome faces at the singing.

I would imagine that this was typically Venetian entertainment, though probably not entirely in the manner intended by the ones paying for it.