I'm new here, though I have been reading here for the last week or so.
Many many years ago I tried learning PA for about 3 months on a box my parents had acquired from somewhere.
Years passed and I thought the accordion was lost somehow, then it reappeared last month in the back of a cupboard and I've now inherited it. After 40 years in storage it still sounds fairly ok, but it's a bit out of tune and a few reeds don't seem to be sounding, and some of the leather valves are curly.
Currently I'm mostly interested in finding its age and history, and then maybe I'll try and fix it (carefully) or just play it (badly).
What I've found so far:
- Probably made in Italy in 30s or 40s
- it's a student or possibly 'ladies' accordion (weight 6.5kg + straps)
- No couplers
- Probably tuned to 440: base notes currently vary from -6cents to +7cents assuming 440 (using Instrument-Tuner)
- Base buttons are Stradella system
- Treble is 2 banks with second tuned flat about 16cents (which is apparently Italian musette).