The First Ever Southern England Chromatic Button Accordion Rally
Saturday 7th October 2017 near Didcot Oxfordshire
For more detail Click Here

practicing leaps in LH

To discuss / ask questions about learning methods/styles/teachers/techniques etc.
henrikhank
Improver
Improver

practicing leaps in LH

Post by henrikhank » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am

What do you do in order to find the bass note you start on? And how did you practice finding the different buttons?
What I do is find C and then go C-G-D-A in order to find A if that is the first button.

It seems that the best exercise is to find to chords eg Am and C and then practice jumping between them untill you do it perfectly. Leaps are difficult.

JEBrown
Novice
Novice

Re: practicing leaps in LH

Post by JEBrown » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:02 pm

To find the starting note - yes I use the same technique as you, although sometimes it's easier to use the marked E button as the starting point.

And for leaps - practice, practice, practice! In the Scottish music I play the jump from C to A (or equivalent) is very common, and it took me a few months before I could do this reliably, now I don't even need to think about it. Longer jumps need more practice...

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:39 pm

if you are playing major chord and bass with fingers 2 & 3 (COUNTING 1ST FINGER NOT THUMB AS 1) it is easy to reach up 4 rows with 1st finger to play maj or miner chords eg if playing C bass and chord with fingers 2 & 3 finger one should reach A whislt other two remain on C. same of course goes for F to D or any other combination

george

TomBR
Superstar
Superstar

Post by TomBR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:01 pm

The very well known chord sequence I, VIminor, IV, V, for example C Am F G ("I like the flowers" or "The 50s progression") is a good one to practice.

jollyrogeraccordions
Novice
Novice

Post by jollyrogeraccordions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:10 am

I've been learning La Mangave. The bass has jumps from e to f and a to Bb at one point. Something like that anyway. From the rest of this thread it seems like practice is the answer (no surprise there). I have two questions. Is it better to use finger 2 and 3 in order as George suggests to be able to use e.g. The index finger (1) to sort of hunt upwards for the next button? Do some players just use 1 and 2 for fundamental/chord? My father gave me his accordion many years ago and (I think) advised use of 2 and 3, but I have got into a bad habit with fingers 1 and 2. The second question is this...if lose my left hand place I end up trying a bass note often to find I've either not got far enough or I have gone too far. At the end of the day am I right in assuming there is no silver bullet and it's just practice? One other thing...I have a 12x4 Verdi I for practice, which is light and gives me far fewer buttons to worry about than a 120...plus I can locate the F# by finding the top of the block.

JerryPH
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by JerryPH » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 am

There are a couple of ways, but as mentioned in the end, the only thing that will define for you your level of success is the amount of time you spend repeating and practicing the move. The younger ones catch it faster than the older people but "repetition is the mother of skill". :)
My musical memoires blog/website: http://www.AccordionMemories.com

debra
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by debra » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:10 am

I can only repeat the answer "practice, practice, practice!".
I do feel where C is (that varies between instruments) and then everything is just 1) relative and 2) with practically the same distances on every instrument. (There seems to be less variation in size and spacing of the bass side of accordions than on the keyboard side.)
Once you have practiced a lot (and I mean really a lot) you can master every leap flawlessly. What really helps is to consider that the buttons never move. What you learn will still work a year from now as everything will still be in the same place on the same accordion.
(I tell this also to people who look at their keyboard while playing. As long as you keep playing the same instrument there should be no need to look at the keyboard because you (and your hand/arm) should really know where each key is. This friendly advice sometimes puzzles people and sometimes they think I am pulling their leg...)
Paul De Bra (not Debra...)
http://www.de-bra.nl

jollyrogeraccordions
Novice
Novice

Post by jollyrogeraccordions » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks. Yes, luckily, practice is never a problem for me. I have trouble keeping away from my Accordions... 8-) :D

Howie
Expert
Expert

Post by Howie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 pm

jollyrogeraccordions wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:10 am
I've been learning La Mangave.

At the end of the day am I right in assuming there is no silver bullet and it's just practice?
It's a great tune, I've been struggling with it too. I agree there's no substitute for repeated practice, there are some left hand leaps that I struggle with - and yet some days I can hit them accurately, and those days are becoming more frequent. It's just a matter of programming the brain/muscle connections to be able to repeat a particular movement precisely.

For some reason I get the leap down to Bb spot on nearly every time, to F not so often. Not sure why that should be, since to F is a shorter hop. And compared to some pieces those aren't such large jumps, but any large-ish jump to F gives me the yips so I think a lot of it is mind over matter.

I don't know if others find this, but some leaps work easier for me when I am on a push movement, so I try to arrange it so the harder parts come when pushing, not pulling.

george garside
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by george garside » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:29 pm

the purists may frown on it but in the early days of 'leaps' there is no harm in using a mirror to watch the bass. Some would argue that this results in a back to front image of the bass in the brain- it doesn't matter as in normal playing you cant see the bass anyway and a mental arse upards image works as well as any other

george :evil: ;)