Accordion bodywork

Need technical advice regarding repair or renovation of your box? You've come to the right place.
wout
Star
Star

Accordion bodywork

Post by wout » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Hello! I have a question. My morino i love it very much and the inside is in almost perfect shape. I just ordered a new bellows as well from Slovenia (will post about that when i receive it) and i would like to restore the rest of the instrument as well. The body is pretty scatched up and doesnt look very nice anymore at least for me who sees it all the time from up close. Theres some rips in the celluloid and all. Im not experienced with celluloid nor paint jobs. I wondered if i can could take it to a spray store to get it restored (sprayed on the celluloid cause of the protection celluloid offers)? Seems like thats a cheaper option then having to send bass and treble side to a store to cover it with new celluloid. Wonder if anyone has experience with this?

GOM
Novice
Novice

Re: Accordion bodywork

Post by GOM » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Before you embark on a what could be a costly and protracted cosmetic journey ask yourself how does your Morino sound? Will it sound any better for new celluloid or a coat of paint? I see from your post it needs? a new bellows, get it sorted and playing in tune efficiently, love it for what it is. Forget what you see, listeners/audiences are not interested in what you play but how you play it. I have several really grotty looking saxes but wouldn’t dream of wasting spondulicks on a relaquer or stripping exercise as I know it will not alter one iota the sound only I can do that with time, effort and practice, by the way I do own as well a brand spanking shiney sax but have no particular preference when it comes to playing it frequently preferring to let my grotty cheapo chinese job take the rough and tumble.
[align=center]V Soprani 120 bass - Black Diamond B CBA[/aligncenter]
[align=center]so many melodies so little time[/aligncenter]

wout
Star
Star

Post by wout » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Well i tried forgeting it but it is just really disturbing me. The reason is because it wasnt caused by me and if it has alot of scratches i want them to be mine. Sounds a bit strange maybe but i think its worth for me to fix it up to a new look and remember every scar so to say.

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 pm

wout wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:49 pm
Hello! I have a question. My morino i love it very much and the inside is in almost perfect shape. I just ordered a new bellows as well from Slovenia (will post about that when i receive it)
A bellows must be in disastrous shape to need replacing (and replacement may be a lot harder than you think) rather than replacement of worn calico strips. Basically, the cardboard has to be ruined. A Morino has an extra layer of stuff (cloth?) on the cardboard for better airtightness. Those bellows cost a heck of a lot of money when ordered from Hohner, so I am a bit skeptical here.

wout
Star
Star

Post by wout » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Theyre just very worn. The leather diamonds got kind of hard and the kaliko is very damaged. The corners as well show signs of age. Yes everything costs a heck of a lot if ordered from hohner. When i went to castelfidardo i met some of the manufacturers of the products they sell and believe me hohner triples the price.

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:40 pm

I've seen celluloid repair jobs that turned out pretty good. They did not replace the celluloid, rather applied some kind of highly viscose "glue" into the cracks. Then all kinds of superficial scratches were removed with a buffing wheel.

I guess it all depends on how damaged it exactly is.

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Well, here is a before/after repair job done by someone specialized on bodywork.
00007.jpg
Before
And afterwards (well, this is the camera flash and a decade of usage: viewed in daylight, you would not be able to tell just where the closed-up hole had been).
DSC02431.JPG
Afterwards

wout
Star
Star

Post by wout » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Very nice work! I can show some pictures of what i mean when i see my instrument again :) im away for a few days! I must say im less bothered again but there are days that it just really annoys me!

wout
Star
Star

Post by wout » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 am

These are 2 examples of what i mean. The other pictures are to large :b. But is there a way i can maybe reduce the scratches myself? Polishing them out? I also read about applying a little bit of nail polish but how does that exactly work?
Attachments
_20180126_110608.JPG

wout
Star
Star

Post by wout » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 am

Some more
Attachments
_20180126_111033.JPG
_20180126_111056.JPG
_20180126_111123.JPG

Geronimo
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Geronimo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

"Nail polish" is terminal since nail polish remover is basically the solvent for celloloid. Removing nail polish will leave the surface matte in a not-pretty way.

One can polish off the worst ridges from creases, but filling scratches really requires someone experienced with celloloid work.

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm

the scratches seem DYI polishable

but then you're still stuck with that corner crack and the missing/broken piece... so I agree, if the goal is to fully restore, maybe just bring it to a restorer right away

wout
Star
Star

Post by wout » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 pm

Geronimo wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am
"Nail polish" is terminal since nail polish remover is basically the solvent for celloloid. Removing nail polish will leave the surface matte in a not-pretty way.

One can polish off the worst ridges from creases, but filling scratches really requires someone experienced with celloloid work.
I know nail polish remover is not something you should use on an celluloid covered accordion :ch
its more about filling the cracks and sanding/polishing it off so the deeper cracks arent visible anymore. I heard and read about it (on this forum as well) but can't find a good guide on how to actually do it. I dont want to attempt something with the risk of messing it up even more!

Morne
Star
Star

Post by Morne » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Is this the product that gets used for touching up the celluloid?
http://www.hohner-cshop.de/en/Accordion ... black.html

Obviously won't be useful for rebuilding heavily cracked or missing pieces.

boxplayer4000
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by boxplayer4000 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:51 am

Acetone/nail varnish remover is standard for dealing with small scratches, followed by wet polish with wet/dry emery cloth (at least 1000 or 1200 grit), maybe followed by a metal polish such as Brasso or car body product such as T-cut.
Deeper cracks, requiring filling, present a bigger problem because there are a variety of plastics used. Using a solution of one plastic to 'fill' a scratch on a different plastic will cause a mismatch. A possible solution is to obtain a small bit of the parent plastic to make a solution recovered from a part of the accordion where the celluloid has been turned round an edge or corner but is not seen when the instrument is fully assembled.

wout
Star
Star

Post by wout » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks so much for the great explanation i will attempt it! Ill start on a very small part and ill let you know how it goes :)

GOM
Novice
Novice

Post by GOM » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Send it to this guy!

[media]https://youtu.be/3CXCvrELLkc[/media]

Google accordion celluloid youtube lots of vids.

Regards Al
[align=center]V Soprani 120 bass - Black Diamond B CBA[/aligncenter]
[align=center]so many melodies so little time[/aligncenter]