French Canadian diatonic

Music you like and want to share - post the links here.
maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

French Canadian diatonic

Post by maugein96 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Member yffisch posted a clip of him playing a French Canadian tune, and the You Tube clip also showed a link to this guy.

Now I had heard this type of music before, but don't really know anything about it, and some of the accordions I've heard are pretty sharp and harsh sounding in the recordings.

However, after listening to this fellow playing I have to admit that I had been missing out on a very pleasant music genre.

The tuning of his accordion and his playing style IMHO make for very pleasant listening. He makes it sound as though his accordion was made for this type of music.

It is possible (for me) to hear the connection with Cajun music. I've read that the Cajuns originally moved to Louisiana from Canada, but haven't researched that. The accordions are certainly similar.

If the music has any connections with France I'd be interested to know from what region(s) that may be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptnmE9dSz8s

AccordionUprising
Expert
Expert

Re: French Canadian diatonic

Post by AccordionUprising » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:34 am

The most curious thing about the French Canadian and Louisiana Cajun accordion styles is that they developed totally separately. The accordion didn't arrive on either scene until 100 years after the expulsion that divided the people. Each tradition developed its own accordion technique and style independently, based on some shared French tradition, but with much more Irish influence in Quebec, and a huge influence of Black Creole players in Louisiana. Many other differences but that's a start.

Thus you get Nathan Abshire playing bluesy Cajun style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjWZ9OyYdj4

And Eric Gagne playing instrumentally in Quebec with traditional foot percussion
https://youtu.be/_uYEfQEY7AQ
Bruce Triggs
Accordion Noir Radio
Vancouver, BC, Canada

hais1273
Star
Star

Post by hais1273 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18 am

Splendid stuff. Right up my street. I never ceased to be amazed that some Quebecois musicians can play an instrument, in this case a melodeon AND beat out a rhtyhm with their feet AND sometimes sing as well. Well beyond my meager abilities.
The Quebecois band " Le Vent do Nord" will be playing at the Ropetackle Centre here in Sussex in August. Definatly, worth a look.

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 am

AccordionUprising wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 am
The most curious thing about the French Canadian and Louisiana Cajun accordion styles is that they developed totally separately. The accordion didn't arrive on either scene until 100 years after the expulsion that divided the people. Each tradition developed its own accordion technique and style independently, based on some shared French tradition, but with much more Irish influence in Quebec, and a huge influence of Black Creole players in Louisiana. Many other differences but that's a start.
I guessed there was some sort of divide between the two styles, but the historical element was beyond my knowledge, although you can definitely hear the Irish influence in the Canadian reels.

I had actually posted that clip of Eric Gagne with the footwork on yffisch's OP. I'd never seen anything like it.

What was "different" about the player in my OP was the refinement in his playing. I'm used to hearing rather rough and ready stuff on that type of accordion (OK melodeon, but they call them "accordeons"), and that made a pleasant change. I do like Cajun music, but would have to say that I prefer that Quebec style.

There is a "Scottish" influenced Canadian Cape Breton style, but on the very few occasions I've listened to it, it's never really captivated my interest. I'm probably more orientated towards instrumental music, but each to their own.

AccordionUprising
Expert
Expert

Post by AccordionUprising » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:51 pm

See also the new thread on Quebecois genius Philippe Bruneau's new archive/website:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6892#p61167

"La jeunesse de Philippe Bruneau"
(The Genius of Philippe Bruneau)
http://bruneau.mnemo.qc.ca
Bruce Triggs
Accordion Noir Radio
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:35 pm

hais1273 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18 am

The Quebecois band " Le Vent do Nord" will be playing at the Ropetackle Centre here in Sussex in August. Definatly, worth a look.
I'll second that! Vent du Nord are my favourite French-Canadian band; superb musicians and particularly brilliant live. :)

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Blast!

I lived in Brighton and Lewes from 1976 until 1979. If I'd known they were coming I wouldn't have moved back to Scotland!