Inspiration during the summer

Music you like and want to share - post the links here.
jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Inspiration during the summer

Post by jozz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:12 pm

I was inspired by some performers recently and found them worthy to share.

The first is CALAN, a folksy group from Wales, they played a set during which they told stories about local folklore and their efforts to keep the Welsh music alive. Their lead singer also was a clog-dancing champion. They were crisp and tight live, very nice to watch and listen to. Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8rUjr0WHr4

Secondly, we have a rising star that was being promoted heavily in Holland and western europe last year, the Bosnian solo performer Mario Batkovic. This is a guy that could supply a new boost to a new generation of solo accordionists, as they seem to be dying out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO-suGh2Pko

Anyanka

Re: Inspiration during the summer

Post by Anyanka » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks for sharing the Batkovic video - that's very much my taste in accordion music! I've just found his album on Spotify, will listen to that as soon as the hoovering noise stops (somebody else is cleaning the house, so I won't complain!!!) ;)

Calan are lovely - I have several of their CDs and have seen them perform live a few times. Did they do the "clog dance off" between the singer and her father? Always good fun...

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:44 pm

you're welcome, they did not do a dance-off although they performed the song of the video at the end of their set

they were later sharing the stage with Vishten in a sort of musical match where they would alternate in playing

This is Vishten:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRBCHi1RAHM

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks for the clips Jozz,

A welcome chance to listen to stuff I'd never heard before. Must get a pair of those clogs as my new neighbour claims she cannot hear me playing the accordion!

Couldn't get the Bosnian vibe at all, but probably because I was expecting to hear the very music that has caused the accordion to become unfashionable in so many places. Last time I heard Bosnian accordion live it was a sevdah band and the young vocalist was as least ten years older than I am.

For the benefit of we UK types of a certain age, what's a solo accordionist?

Anyanka

Post by Anyanka » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Excellent! I've added Vishten to my Spotify list too - never heard of them, although they are Right Up My Street.

jozz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by jozz » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:19 pm

maugein96 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:41 pm
it's my definition for a performer who plays accordion without any other musicians/vocalists

maugein96
Should get out more!
Should get out more!

Post by maugein96 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:52 pm

jozz wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:19 pm
maugein96 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:41 pm
it's my definition for a performer who plays accordion without any other musicians/vocalists
Hi jozz,

Sorry, that was yet another one of my silly "wise"cracks. I was alluding to the fact that I couldn't remember the last time I actually heard an accordion being played live in the UK, solo or otherwise. Last time I heard live accordion in the UK was in Durham a few years ago, when a Roma band were playing in the street, and the elderly accordionist was a wizard on the instrument, which looked older than I did. I spent a good while listening to them.

You can go to an "accordion club" or other accordion performance here if you know where to find them, but I'd (usually) rather walk through a blizzard to get away from such a venue. When I was a kid it seemed every other household had an accordionist, and spontaneous street performances were frequent, but now it's every other town which has one.

Unfortunately I've never really taken to any of the various UK accordion music styles, or many of the western European folk styles, so I don't go looking to hear them. I sometimes wonder if I'm really interested in the accordion at all, but inevitably I'll hear the strains of music from some distant shore and away I go again. Think I must have "exotic music syndrome", or something like that.

Corsaire
Star
Star

Post by Corsaire » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:35 pm

Love the Vishten link - another PA accordionist playing right hand only ! and not only in that video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF2-JGu ... gs=pl%2Cwn). But she makes excellent use of the notes in the right hand to create a very listenable sound.

Tanks for that, Jazz